Home > Visa & Legalization
Information on Getting Married in China

Overseas Chinese and foreigners wishing to go to China to marry Chinese citizens should be acknowledged that the legal marriage age in China is 22 and above for male, 20 and above for female according to the Chinese law, and bigamy is illegal.


Before going to China, the following documents should be prepared:


1. To make Statutory Declaration either in front of a registered solicitor or to a Notary Public including Name, Sex, Date and Place of Birth, Nationality, Passport or ID card number, Occupation, Address and Marital status (never married, divorced or widowed).


2. To have the Declaration authenticated by the Legalization Office of the British Foreign and Commonwealth Office and legalized finally by the Chinese Embassy or the Chinese Consulate General. The documents are valid for 6 months since the date of legalization.


3. The above-mentioned documents can not be legalized on the same day by the Chinese Embassy or the Consulate General. It will be done in 10 days. The fee is £12 per document. Express service takes 2-3 working days and the supplement charge is £15 per document. The applications can be made either in person or through a third party, such as a solicitor, courier or a travel agent.


4. After entering China with the above-mentioned documents and a valid Chinese Visa, you should go together with your fiance / fiancee and submit in person your marriage application to the marriage registration office of the local government above county level where the Chinese fiance / fiancee resides, and have your health checked by a designated hospital. The marriage can be registered only after the application is ratified, and the Marriage Certificate is issued upon registration.


You may find some useful information from the website of the British Embassy in China and the Legalization Office of the British Foreign and Commonwealth Office.

The information above is subject to change without notice.

<Suggest To A Friend>